Department: TaxReports to: Partner
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
The Tax Director is responsible for advising clients on the tax implications of their business objections, evaluating and selecting alternative actions to lessen tax burden and cost of compliance, identifying different methods of complying with tax regulations while acting as the primary client contact for complex tax issues. In this role, the Senior Manager is charged with applying knowledge to understand potential tax issues, and recognizing, communicating potential risks and potential changes in the tax policy and making top-level decisions regarding filing, preparation and resolution of questions from federal / state agencies. In addition, the Tax Senior Manager will be critical member of the office leadership team and actively participate in the marketing, networking and business development within an area of expertise and specialization while maintaining client relationships and acting as the primary contact for complex questions.
LocationLos Angeles, Newport Beach, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego
- Leading Managing and Holding People Accountable (LMA)
- Support Growth Strategies ( Tax/Industry)
- Meet the engagement (job) financial goals / metrics / QC (technical) standards
- Primary point of contact for client(s) and responsible for quality service delivery
- Review and delivery of tax services including tax compliance for corporations, partnerships, and/or high net worth individuals.
- Coordinate client tax planning and consultation with the firms business consulting efforts and assurance activities.
- Review tax provisions on audit and review engagements.
- Work closely with management as a liaison between staff and clients.
- Developing and mentoring staff and develops successors (managers)
- Recognizing opportunities for providing additional tax services to clients
- Exhibit superior technical competence, managerial abilities, and the ability to attract and develop new clients.
- Provide firm leadership through example.
- Be ultimately responsible for all engagements performed under them.
- Perform assigned administrative duties.
- Be an asset to the firm through civic and community activities.
- Develop employees in both technical and management areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Yes. Full management responsibilities for exempt and non-exempt staff within department and/or specified work group.
- Work is performed in a business office environment with limited privacy and exposure to general office environment noise from others conducting business.
- Overnight travel may be required approximately 10-25% of time.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) in related field or equivalent; Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- CPA license in good standing.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in public accounting (serving closely held businesses, public companies and various entity types (S-Corps, C-Corps, LLC’s and Partnerships).
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in tax (five of which should be in a management position).
- Masters in Tax is preferred.
- Experience with serving the cannabis industry
- Experience with FAS109, FIN48 and IRC 280E
- Demonstrated success in leading and motivating team members.
- Full competence in all team members’ duties and tasks.
- Outstanding organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow and reassign as necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize projects, especially long-term.
- Ability to plan client engagements, provide tax consulting services, supervise and review work of team staff members, work closely with clients as well as internal managers and partners.
- Possesses in-depth and current knowledge of tax laws and regulations.
- Proven record of building profitable, sustainable client relationships with CFOs, Controllers, and mid-sized business owners.
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Business development experience. Track record of generating extended services from existing clients as well as developing new clients.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing, in English.
- Must be able to keep client matters strictly confidential.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and customer service skills.