Department: TaxReports to: Senior Manager, Director or Partner
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Date Prepared: Aug 2017
The Tax Manager is responsible for advising clients on the tax implications of their business objections, evaluating and selecting alternative actions to lessen tax burden and cost of compliance, identifying different methods of complying with tax regulations while acting as the primary client contact for complex tax issues. In this role, the Tax Manager is charged with applying knowledge to understand potential tax issues, and recognizing and communicating potential risks and potential changes in the tax policy.
LocationLos Angeles, Newport Beach, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego
- Leading Managing and Holding People Accountable (LMA)
- Understands and assist in execution of growth strategies (research calls, pipeline management, COPs, etc.)
- Manage the engagement (job) project management, billing, ensures QC (technical) standards
- Takes care of the client (meets deadlines, timely communication)
- Develops engagement team (prepares seniors to the next level)
- Efficiently review engagement work papers and tax returns
- Effective at supervising and training staff to prepare returns
- Possesses a solid command of pertinent IRC sections and regulations (IRC 280E)
- Develop an expertise in responding to tax authority notices and client representation
- Exhibit technical proficiency and the management ability to plan, budget for, and manage complete tax and/or client engagements, including preparation of reporting products, in accordance with ELLO’s policies, procedures and practices.
- Demonstrate a command of project management skills exhibiting the ability to complete and deliver products and services in a timely and efficient manner.
- Oversee and supervise multiple engagements in progress simultaneously
- Manage client accounts including billing, fee analysis and new service development
- Provide effective feedback to mentors and supervisory, senior and staff accountants
- Ability to research complex tax matters and clearly communicate findings and recommendations
- Meet challenging client requirements and provide exceptional service
- Consistently display excellent written, verbal, and listening communication skills
- Identify new business development opportunities and assist in growing existing client services
- Actively participates in professional associations/affiliations.
- Assist in firm management/administration functions as assigned by the partners.
- Support talent acquisition, development, retention and other needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Partner(s)
Yes. Full management responsibility for exempt and non-exempt staff within department and/or specified work group.
- Work is performed in a business office environment with limited privacy and exposure to general office environment noise from others conducting business
- Overnight travel is required approximately 10% of time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field required; Master of Tax preferred
- Minimum 6 years of experience in a public accounting firm or related experience
- CPA required
- Experience with serving the cannabis industry preferred
- Experience with FAS109, FIN48 and IRC 280E
- Proficient in corporate, individual and partnership taxation
- Demonstrated success in leading and motivating team members.
- Full competence in all team members’ duties and tasks.
- Outstanding organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow and reassign as necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize projects, especially long-term.
- Ability to plan client engagements, provide tax consulting services, supervise and review work of team staff members, work closely with clients as well as internal managers and partners.
- Possesses in-depth and current knowledge of tax laws and regulations.
- Previous experience supervising and training Staff and Seniors preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational techniques are required
- Must be highly motivated and experienced in managing multiple client engagements
- Must begin to attain visibility and recognition within their industry specialization
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Desire to take on new opportunities
- Ability to establish quality working relationships with current and prospective clients
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing, in English.
- Must be able to keep client matters strictly confidential.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and customer service skills.